spacer.gif, 0 kB
URD logo   September 16, 2014, 21:25:49

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation troubles  (Read 1623 times)
Lounge Lizard

View Profile Email
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:08:04 »

Running Ubuntu - and you would think installing something would be a no-brainer.  I had to go the GetDeb route just to get past the crazy "yydecode" dependency crap.  Once URD installed (having to 'sudo apt-get install urd') rather than using any of the GUI stuff - I re-opened the browser and went to ' 'localhost/urd' - only to have a failure right off the bat.  The screen complained about not having permissions to write to '/html/smarty/c_template/default' - so I traverse the file structure and find there's a /usr/share/urd/html/smarty directory which contains a 'templates' dir, but there's no 'c_templates' dir.  So, I say WTF - and makedir c_templates wondering what else didn't get installed correctly.  Then, when refreshing the page I get the same error and realised I didn't create the default dir - done that and now I get to the infamous 1/6 page of errors.  Before I even got there, though, during a cursory google expedition, I found somewhere a guide letting me know to edit the /etc/php5/cli/php.ini file to change the 'memory_limit' parameter from -1 (my default setting) to 128; and also to edit the /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini file to uncomment the "include_path" attribute.

So, now I'm at page 1/6 - staring at a whole slew of failures for pcntl, sockets, posix, openssl, GD, and SPL modules of PHP5.  I pop up the Synaptic and check for pcntl matches - nothing there.  I do a sudo apt-get install php5-cli and get a message I'm already at the latest version.  So now what???  I'm stuck...

This is really frustrating!  I'm feeling like a noob...  I write php pages and cgi web-apps, fer criminy.  I can't say as I have ever had such a crazy user experience.  This is definitely not a product ready for the faint-of-heart and is not ready for prime-time.

So, again - where to now?  Do I throw all this away and forget about it?  I'm at that point - time is not something I have a lot of and I've already wasted a couple of hours to get to this point and am at a wall.  I don't feel there's anything wrong with my PHP5 and I definitely have stuff your interface is saying I don't have and even the cli max memory issue is flagged red when I definitely have the file set up with that parameter set to 128!

-- da Lizard
Lounge Lizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:44:42 »

Update...  reviewing another post I noted that the author mentioned placing an "M" (for Mb) after the CLI edit - I done that.  And ba-da-bing, now I have only ONE red FAIL - the GD module is indicating as not present.  So, once again, I know my GUI stuff shows nothing missing in PHP5 - so I just go to pull an 'apt-get install php5-gd' and imagine that - it's installing!!  OMG!!!

Now, I reload - but I get no joy - I still have the big red FAIL on the GD module, yet it is installed and at the latest version.  So...  here I am, asking once again...

now what, kimosabe?

- da Lizard
spearhead
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 13:01:49 »

It should be easy to install, I've done .deb installs on many ubuntus and it always works without a hassle. The only thing is that since 12.04 there is no yydecode anymore so that would have to be installed from source.

Perhaps you need to restart apache, if you haven't done that.

And running
Code:
php -m |grep gd
should indicate if it is present in php
Lounge Lizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:45 »

That did it!  Restarting Apache apparently was required since I suppose I initially got the error with the PHP GD module was not installed.  Even though I installed it before it got to that screen, it had already needed something or Apache2 needed to re-read it's init file to incorporate the GD stuff.  I didn't think of that...

I will have to admit - again - this was not a user-friendly experience.  It seriously required a lot of knowledge and especially since I didn't want to use the MySQL root account to create the URDDB and the 'urd_user', I had to pull out my user manual (since I don't do MySQL user management all that often).

But, hey, I got 'er done!  It's up and running, now if I can just find a "good" free news server...

I have one beef - there were a lot of news providers predefined and I had to delete them all one at a time.  What a PITA that was.  I would have rather not had to go through that exercise!

So, it does seem I sure am complaining a lot for a "free" product!  Don't let my apparent insensitivity bother you too much.  I was just trying to give an accounting of my experience and my impression at first glance in trying to get this product operational.  I do appreciate it a lot - the Browser-based GUI looks awfully nice (would be nicer if we can skin it to other themes - red and black aren't my favourite colours).  I haven't worked with it much yet, so I'll defer on the review for now - though my first impression after getting the GUI up is quite favourable.

da Lizard
Lounge Lizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:04:49 »

Hey, I'm back... ran into another problem.  And can't seem to figure out what's the issue.  Apparently the URDD is not running, I have a red light.  Clicking on start URDD does nothing, going into the admin functions and trying to start URDD does nothing.  My syslog is not showing me why I have no joy, mysql shows no problems, apache is not having a hissy...

So what now...  I have a server setup with a green light and I should be getting a newsgroup listing or something...

*sigh*

-- da Lizard
spearhead
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 12:30:03 »

Under admin/configuration there is log, that should usually show what is wrong

This one in config.php may give sometimes problems
$config['urdd_pidfile']    = '...';

you can put a # before it or change  the path to something writeable by URDD

Regarding mysql, I don't see how to do this differently, at one point I'd have to make the database and set the permissions on it, therefore it needs a user that has such permissions (typically root but can be any user actually) .

I'll make a note on the modules and restarting apache in the installer.

Regarding the newsgroup servers, you can just leave them, they are there for convenience. Enable the ones that you wish to use. Note, you probably have to enable one to make URDD start.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:34:42 by spearhead » Logged
Lounge Lizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:05:47 »

OK - I had to curtail usage for a couple of days and not pursue any more troubleshooting (interpretation: gave up in frustration).  Had a moment to return to the problem and found a bunch of log entries:
   Database problem: ( 2006 ) mysqli error: [2006: MySQL server has gone away] in EXECUTE("SELECT "value" FROM preferences WHERE "option" = 'urdd_startup' AND "userID" = 0 LIMIT 1")

I can log into mySql just fine as root and as the admin account I created for setting up the urd_user account...

So, anyway, here is the complete set of error messages when I click on the Start URDD button:

Feb 08 2012    02:58:13    INFO    Database problem: 2013 - mysqli error: [2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query] in EXECUTE("SELECT "value" FROM preferences WHERE "option" = 'urdd_startup' AND "userID" = 0 LIMIT 1")
Feb 08 2012    02:58:13    DEBUG    fn:set_group() pid:7055 (18612224 18612224)
Feb 08 2012    02:58:13    WARNING    Warning on line 122 in file /usr/share/urd/urdd/urdd_config.php: mkdir(): No such file or directory (2)
Feb 08 2012    02:58:13    INFO    
Feb 08 2012    02:58:13    NOTICE    Notice on line 123 in file /usr/share/urd/urdd/urdd_config.php: Undefined variable: db (Cool
Feb 08 2012    02:58:13    DEBUG    Connecting to mysqli @ localhost
Feb 08 2012    02:58:13    WARNING    
Feb 08 2012    02:58:13    WARNING    Database problem: ( 2013 ) mysqli error: [2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query] in EXECUTE("SELECT "value" FROM preferences WHERE "option" = 'urdd_startup' AND "userID" = 0 LIMIT 1")
Feb 08 2012    02:58:10    INFO    Opening log file: /tmp/urdd.log
Feb 08 2012    02:58:10    NOTICE    Starting urdd
Feb 08 2012    02:58:10    WARNING    Warning on line 212 in file /usr/share/urd/urdd/urdd_config.php: pcntl_getpriority(): Error 3: No process was located using the given parameters (2)

Seems that the first entry is a warning of a pcntl_getpriority() function not being located followed by a lost connection error to MySQL.  I ran a MySQLAdmin command to see timeout settings and they're :
connect_timeout                   43200
shutdown_timeout                  3600

Where should I look to dig into this further? 

-- da Lizard
spearhead
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 19:05:52 »

You probably ran into the same issues as in this topic. Try this solution:
http://urdland.com/forum/index.php?topic=519.msg2757#msg2757
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: