spacer.gif, 0 kB
URD logo   December 13, 2017, 11:21:39

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flatpak URD?  (Read 1690 times)
Lucap

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:51:53 »

flatpak.org

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2016/06/flatpak-cross-platform-linux-app-packages/

Could you do a Flatpak container version of URD so it contains all the dependencies as a simple easy 1 click install?

Thanks
spearhead
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 14:54:54 »

Maybe when I do a next release.

Frankly, it's most a lamp install and a few minor additions. So it shouldn't be too hard to get it working on any system. Most of the tedious dependencies I already worked out of the packaging. Do you run into any specific issues?
Lucap

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 00:13:13 »

I'm running Mint 18 but to be honest i haven't even tried URD yet as i thought i would have to install dependencies for it to work.

One of the beauties of Flatpak apart from the one click install , un-install is everything is kept in a sandbox so you don't have the issues of yet more packages to keep patched or up to date for security concerns of running a webserver as it's all contained to the Flatpak area.

So for Windows to Linux noobs like me it makes life a whole lot easier to test things before making permanent changes to the OS.  
spearhead
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 17:26:31 »

Dependencies are handled by apt-get usually; so it shouldn't be a problem on ubuntu like systems. Installing from source might be a bit tricky. But there are very few odd packages. yydecode sometimes is hard to install, as it hasn't been maintained for ages. But the FAQ has a section on it.

Most of the weirdness is in optional packages that you'd most of the time won't use.

But anyway I like the idea of snap et al. Should make it even easier to install/remove software on linux
Lucap

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 09:26:11 »

GNOME 3.22 Released

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/09/gnome-3-22-released-new-features

In GNOME 3.22, Software, the GNOME app store, ships with comprehensive Flatpak support.

It now lets you add Flatpak repository files, and browse/install apps from them, all without the need to consult the command line! The app also gains the ability to display further information about Flatpak apps, including source information, and sandbox status.

Damn annoying that there competing formats as Gnome and Mint 18.1 are opting for Flatpak but others like Firefox will be going for Snap.
Alster81

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:35:35 »

The thread is abit old so i hope its ok if i post. Lucap : Im thinking about using ubunto but been to lazy to learn. Is it worth it?
Westerfield

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 12:35:39 »

I would say so, Alster. You won't regret it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: